This article explains how to calculate the Needed Fire Flow for an Occupancy:
1. Select the Occupancy Module
2. Open the record of the Occupancy from the Grid by selecting Edit or double click on the proper row.
3. In the Info Tab, select the Construction Type from the drop down list. Note that the Construction Types are predefined and mapped to ISO Construction Types. You can create your own Construction Types; however, map them to the proper ISO Construction Type in Occupancy > Settings > Construction Type (double click the Construction Type). Save the page before moving to the next step.
4. In the Prefire Plan tab, enter data to determine the square foot area of the building using one of the methods below:
For a square or rectangular building enter the Width, Length (in feet), and Number of floors. Click the "calc" hyperlink and the system will calculate the total Square Feet of the building.
If you have an irregular shaped building, determine the square feet of the footprint of the building and enter it into the Square Feet field. Multiply the square foot x the number of floors to determine the total square feet. This example is a 24' x 100' one story building.
5. Select the proper Fire Load from the drop down list.
To determine the proper fire load for the building, go to Guide for Determination of Needed Fire Flow Chapter 3, page 11.
6. Select the proper Fire Load Sprinklers from the drop down list.
To determine the proper Fire Load for the building, go to Guide for Determination of Needed Fire Flow Chapter 6, page 22.
7. Save the page by selecting the "Save" icon and Needed Fire Flow for your building will be displayed.
This completes the process to calculate Needed Fire Flow.