Configuring Initial Account Settings
Once in the system, concentrate your initial efforts in the Administration module.
This custom data will be used to create run reports, personnel rosters, daily logs, maintenance records, and much more.
Some lists may be pre-filled with data, but items can easily be added or deleted to suit your individual agency needs.
Begin by entering values in the Dropdowns section. You will then be able to easily select these items in the other modules throughout the system. The most important lists to populate first are:
- Rank List: Firefighter, Captain, Chief, etc.
- Station List: Station 1, HQ, etc.
- Zone List: Station 1, West, Q23, anything to describe the location zone of calls you will record in your run reports.
VISION Only: Only describe zones for which your station may be responsible.
Enter fleet information in the Apparatus List:
Vehicle Number: A unique vehicle number must be assigned to each apparatus.
Examples: Fleet ID from maintenance shop, last few digits of VIN, or asset accounting number.
To keep historical records intact, this number must remain associated with the apparatus perpetually, regardless of changes to Apparatus ID, Department Apparatus Name, Station Assignment, etc.
Enter Personnel names and other relevant information in the Personnel List:
- Add Personnel: Create a personnel record for every person who responds to calls or needs to use your Emergency Reporting system. *
- Navigate to the Security Tab
- Select “Has Access” to create unique login and password.
Enter a login name for the new Personnel and hit Save.
Note: The login name must be unique not just for names in your department, but for EVERY Emergency Reporting user. A good way to get a unique name is to prefix all your names with your city and/or department details. For example, "TX-jim-smith" or "JackWhite-nypd".
Setup the user's password.
- Select Administrator level permissions for high-ranking personnel, such as Chief.
Note: When selecting security for personnel, a good rule of thumb is to grant the lowest level of security required for each person to complete his or her job adequately.
A note about Payroll: If you want to track payroll using ER, it will save time to set this up before proceeding to the Personnel List.
In the Incident Settings section, enter information that will be available when filling out run reports:
Required Fields: Allows you to decide which information personnel must enter before they can complete a run report, such as Shift or Zone.
CAD Only: Require a Dispatch Run Number if you have a CAD link.
For agencies with EMS enabled, there will be numerous additional options:
- Destinations: Hospitals and nursing homes, etc.
- Medications: Uncheck all medications that your agency doesn’t carry.
- Protocols: Disable all protocols your agency doesn’t perform.
- Procedures: Disable all procedures that your agency doesn’t perform.
Daily Log Settings
Enter Daily Log Settings to help automate Daily Log entries:
Activity Code List: Alarm Response, Rig Checks, Training, etc.
- Daily Log Rollover Time: Set to your shift change time to establish what time each “day” begins on the Daily Log.
Example: 08:00 or midnight 00:00
Default Incident Response Activity Code: Set incident activity code (i.e., “Alarm Response” from previous step)Note: Selecting a default code here will allow the system to automatically display Incidents in the Daily Log as personnel fill out their run reports, saving you lots of data entry and providing you with a ‘live’ view of agency activity.
Default Training Activity Code: Set code. (i.e., “Training-Company Training” from above)
Note: Selecting a default code here will allow the system to automatically display Training in the Daily Log as personnel fill out their Training reports, saving you lots of data entry and providing you with a ‘live’ view of agency activity.
- Default Maintenance Completed Activity Code: Set code. (i.e., "Maintenance - Maintenance Complete" from above)
Note: Selecting a default code here will allow the system to automatically display maintenance in the Daily Log as personnel complete Work Orders, saving you lots of data entry and providing you with a ‘live’ view of agency activity.
Enter the Department Settings that will affect the formatting of your reports:
- Department Logo: Note the image format requirements on the upload page.
- Local Time Settings: Set to your local time zone.
- EMS Agency Settings:Required for EMS Customers who generate valid EMS export files.
Your initial account configuration is now complete, and you can start entering run reports and other data! Again, thanks for using Emergency Reporting!